Thursday, May 29, 2014

Middle-Eastern Tacos With Couscous.



Twice in one week, LeeLee has peeked into the kitchen before dinner and exclaimed, “We haven’t had THAT in awhile!”

Tonight’s subject?  Couscous!

I don’t know why I haven’t made couscous in months; it’s so easy, versatile, and tasty to boot.  Tonight, with my favorite Middle-Eastern Tacos from the Soul Vegetarian Cookbook as the entrée, I knew I wanted something non-standard to accompany the dish.  Couscous fit the bill!

These tacos couldn’t be easier to make, and they’re a great spin on the traditional taco setup.  I took two cans of kidney beans, drained them well, and mixed them with tahini, lemon juice, garlic powder, and cumin.  (The recipe calls for a puree at this point; I prefer my beans to be intact in the tacos, so I omit that bit.)  Then I let the mixture sit at room temperature for half an hour or so.  Sometimes I’ve done this step and sometimes I haven’t, but I’ve got to say, letting the bean mixture sit really does make a big difference!

When it came time for us to sit down for dinner, I set some water to boil and added the couscous, covering the pot and letting it sit for five minutes to firm up nicely.  At this same point, I filled four taco shells with the bean mixture and heated them up in the oven at 350 degrees.  While everything cooked, I set out a plate of lettuce, tomato, sliced black olives, and Daiya mozzarella cheese as add-ons, and by the time I was done with that prep work, it was time to eat!

The couscous was a great accompaniment to the tacos; not as heavy as yellow rice, but equally flavorful, it carried the Middle Eastern theme throughout the plate.  And the tacos themselves were as tasty as ever.  I love the blend of kidney beans and tahini, and the lemon juice added a great tang!

As for leftovers, we do have a bit more filling for LeeLee to have for lunch tomorrow with some fresh taco shells.  The couscous, however, was obliterated in one sitting.  What can you do?


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment