Friends! The magical
season we've all been waiting for is here once more: Crock-Pot Season!
I know, I know, I use the Crock-Pot year-round, as evidenced
by the recipes that grace these pages month after month. But I put the crockery to work with more
gusto than ever during the autumn and winter, when temperatures drop and piping-hot
meals are the order of the day.
Last night’s meal?
Vegetarian “sausage”-corn chowder!
As you may recall, this
dinner is a favorite here at Chez Recessionista in the cooler months, and I
was only too pleased to bring it back out from a summer’s layover last
night. We were on a bit of a tight
schedule – I was attending a tai chi class in the early evening and LeeLee was
coming home a little late, so we were ships passing in the night – and as a
result the Crock-Pot was called into service and was more than up to the task!
I just can’t get over the happiness (and occasional smugness)
I feel when I come home from work and smell dinner cooking away. After nine-or-so hours at the office, the
memory of preparing the meal in the early morning has nearly faded, so it’s
almost like having an in-house chef preparing our meals for us!
The final result was, as usual, a wonderful treat. We both adore this dish (one of my favorite
recipes from my mother), and we each went back for multiple servings. The chowder was heavy enough to satisfy us,
but light enough so that it didn’t weigh me down in the tai chi class, either –
and believe me, I need all the help I can get! Further, we were able to use half a dozen potatoes from our recent haul out at Great Country Farms; there's just nothing like fresh potatoes!
So with that triumphant re-entry, we’re squarely back in
Crock-Pot season once more. I couldn’t
be happier!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment