Thursday, August 29, 2013

Fettuccine With Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce.



I ask you: What is more celebratory than a festive pasta dish?  And what better to lend an air of elegance to such an important occasion as college-football kickoff than a steaming plate of tasty fettuccine with a rich cream sauce?

Admittedly, this meal is more decadent than most of the weekday dinners served at Chez Recessionista.  But on a night like this, when a long-awaited season of football begins, a little decadence is par for the course.

I’ve made this meal before – it’s one of my favorites from The Pioneer Woman.  And it will always do in a celebratory pinch.  In fact, the last time I made it, we were in the heart of winter and carb-loading before we went down to the National Mall the next morning for the presidential inauguration.  It’s a rich, hearty meal that is just as good the next day (or two days later!) as leftovers.  And it just plain looks impressive, which is always a plus.

As usual, once this dinner gets cooking, things happen in a fairly orderly manner.  The slow cook time for the sauce helps give me time to prepare the pasta and drain it with time to spare.  The only thing I always have to force myself to remember is to reserve some of the pasta water once the fettuccine is done cooking; sometimes, I’ve had to recreate “pasta water” by just heating up a cup or so of tapwater.  These things happen.  It could be worse.  :)

This recipe is straightforward, yet it tastes complicated, which is always sort of fun.  It’s guest-worthy, but also good for a night at home for two (or, in tonight’s case, for one, with one coming in on the night shift, as LeeLee had a meeting that ran late).  And the taste!  Rich and creamy without being overly heavy; steeped in tomatoes without being too acidic (we have the sugar and, yes, the cup of cream to thank for that).  It’s mild, yet flavorful; and, frankly, it could be pretty addictive if I let it.

And above all?  It’s the perfect way to celebrate the unofficial start of autumn, with all the rivalries, weekly heartbreaks, and peaks of elation that comes with a new football season.  Let the games begin!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment