This pantry-cleanout week is getting good! On tonight’s docket: Huevos rancheros!
We love huevos rancheros, and we love breakfast for
dinner. So as I scanned the fridge,
freezer, and cabinets and saw we had all the fixins right here at home, I knew
we had to hop-to.
I had half a package of corn tortillas in the freezer, so I
pulled four of them out (two for me, two for LeeLee) and heated each one in a
nonstick skillet for a minute or two on each side. Once they were heated, I arranged them on our
plates and went on to the next step: Heating up the refried beans.
We had half a can of beans left over from Sunday night’s
dinner, so I heated them up in the microwave in the bowl I was storing them
in. Once they were warmed through, I
spooned half atop LeeLee’s tortillas and half atop mine, topped each plate with
cheese and some jalapeno slices (from the same jar we used last night), and
cracked two eggs into the pan to fry.
Four minutes later (I know, I should cook them for less, but
I’m paranoid about undercooking them!), the eggs were fried, so I carefully
transferred one egg apiece to our plates.
I arranged two sausage links on each plate, as well, and then rang the dinner
bell (figuratively – but wouldn’t it be FUN to have one of those old-fashioned
triangles they used to ring for dinner?).
LeeLee was happy to see one of his very favorite brunch
dishes on the dinner table instead, and I was tickled that I had everything I needed
on hand to concoct another pantry meal!
And dinner went down quite smoothly – within 10 minutes, we’d wolfed
everything down, leaving only the faintest veneer of yolk on our plates.
I’m learning a lot from this week of cleaning out my pantry –
can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment