Inspired by our recent Great
Pantry Cleanout, I’m proud to say that tonight’s meal would have been right
at home in our great experiment! Indeed,
the entire dinner only required some fresh vegetables from the store over the
weekend to make it complete.
Lately, I’ve been experimenting with freezing unused items –
for instance, last week I froze some leftover canned artichokes as well as half
a block of tofu. Along those same lines,
after our most recent taco
night I also decided to try freezing our leftover taco shells, which always
seem to go stale in the cabinet and then find their way to the garbage can. That’s an incredible waste of food over the
long run, and I knew we could do better.
So tonight, as the rice (seasoned with a packet of Goya
seasoning) finished cooking and the pinto beans (seasoned with some adobo
powder) bubbled on the stove, I pulled four shells out of the freezer bag and
heated them up at 325 for about seven minutes.
Once the time had elapsed, the moment of truth arrived: Would they taste
stale? Freezer-burned? Otherwise “off”?
No! They tasted just
like taco shells should! Fresh, crispy,
and corny. :) So we stuffed them to the brim with pinto
beans, lettuce, tomato, sliced black olives, diced onion, and some Daiya
pepperjack shreds, spooned some rice on the side, and chowed down!
So, score one for the freezer, and score another for the
ongoing installments of the Pantry Cleanout Project. I can easily see the a Cleanout Meal making
an appearance in our menu plan at least once a week – and now that I know of
yet another item that’s easily freezable, I’ll be even more prepared going
forward. Saving money, avoiding waste,
and eating well – it’s hard to go wrong!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment