I’ve owned my current Crock-Pot for going on 15 years, and
the novelty of coming home to an already-cooked dinner never gets old – never!
Tonight I tried a new chili recipe for the first time,
another from the venerable Robin Robertson’s Vegan Planet. Robin never
steers me wrong, and she didn’t in this recipe either! The combination of black, pinto, and kidney
beans with a huge can of crushed tomatoes, plus some tomato paste for sweetener
and some jalapenos for spice, mingled beautifully with the diced onion, bell
pepper, and chili powder.
LeeLee had to work late, so I was on my own come
dinnertime. As a result, I pulled out
the ol’ TV tray, cracked open a beer, and poured a generous layer of Fritos in
the bottom of my bowl, ladling several heaping spoonfuls of chili on the
top. I garnished the meal with some
Daiya mozzarella shreds, and with that, I dug in!
The results were fantastic.
I loved the sweet and spicy combination, with just a little saltiness
brought in by the aforementioned Fritos.
At first, I was a bit concerned that I’d miss the meat analogue – many of
my chili recipes call for vegetarian burger crumbles – but I didn’t miss it a
bit. In fact, I found the chili to taste
lighter and fresher as a result!
Once I was finished with dinner, I pulled out two plastic
containers and filled each one to the brim with leftover chili – one for LeeLee
for later (and for leftovers), and one for the freezer for a later dinner. I’m looking forward to defrosting it already!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment