Hot off the presses (or, more accurately, from the oven), I bring you a
brand-new recipe: vegetarian meatball subs!
This is a great meal to make when you’re short on time but
big on hunger. I had exactly 30 minutes
to get dinner prepared tonight – LeeLee had a meeting and I had errands to run
– and truth be told, I could’ve had this ready in 20. But the extra 10 minutes helped make things a
little less harried in the kitchen, so I’ll take it.
First, I prepared the meatballs, shaping 12 of them from a
tube of Lightlife “beef.” I placed them
on a baking sheet and baked them at 350 for 10 minutes before adding a sheet of
tater tots to the mix and upping the temperature to 425 for another 10. Then I removed the meatballs, placed some foil
over them to keep them warm, and continued baking the tater tots for another
10!
As the beef and potatoes cooked, I heated up a small jar of
pizza sauce (tonight’s was left over from Sunday’s grilled pizza!) on the stove
and kept it simmering on Low. Then, when
everything was nearly ready, I popped two steak rolls into the oven and toasted
them at 425 for 5 minutes. After that,
it was assembly time!
We each added a layer of Vegenaise to our rolls and then
each placed four meatballs on the bottom slice of bread. We then topped the meatballs with pizza sauce
and Daiya mozzarella, set the top slice onto the sub, and added some tater tots
on the side. The mozzarella melted on
contact with the hot sauce, and dinner was ready.
The results were fantastic!
We both loved the subs – they were filling but didn’t make us feel
overstuffed, and they tasted great.
Baking the meatballs kept them from being as oily as they would’ve been
in a sauté pan, which is a bonus when it comes to putting them on sandwiches. In all, it was a great-tasting meal that took
no time at all to prepare. And we have
leftovers for tomorrow! What could be
better?
VEGETARIAN MEATBALL SUBS
Serves two
What you’ll need:
1 tube of vegetarian beef (we used Lightlife)
1 jar pizza sauce
2 steak rolls
1 package of mozzarella cheese (we used Daiya tonight)
First, divide up your beef into 12 pieces, shaping each one
into a meatball. Place them on a baking
sheet and put the sheet in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Check on them; if they look like they need a
little more time, leave them in for another five minutes.
While the meatballs bake, warm up a jar of pizza sauce in a
saucepan on the stovetop at medium heat.
Once the sauce has heated through, turn the heat to Low and let the
sauce simmer until dinnertime.
When the meatballs are nearly finished, place your steak
rolls, separated, into the oven and bake for five minutes. They should be nicely crispy and slightly
brown by the end of the cooking time.
Finally, it’s time to assemble your sub! Take the steak rolls out of the oven and add
any condiments you like (we like a thin layer of Vegenaise). Next, place four (or more or less) meatballs
on the bottom part of the roll, topping it with several spoonfuls of sauce. Add a generous helping of mozzarella atop the
sauce and meatballs, and place the other half of the roll on top.
Dig in and enjoy!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment