Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Halushki.



Today has been our coldest day of the winter so far, and LeeLee had a meeting at 7 tonight.  Combine those two scenarios and I knew that halushki – or, as LeeLee calls it, “sweet halushki” – was a must.  Warm, comforting, and carby, it’s also a quick meal to make.  Who can beat that?

I’ve discussed halushki before on this blog, and I don’t mind doing so again.  It’s one of those meals that I’m certain links me to my Scandinavian heritage, but regardless, it’s always a treat to have.  And it tastes much more complicated than it is to make!

Before LeeLee got home, I put the macaroni on to boil, and as it finished up and sat in its pot, drained, I sautéed an onion in butter, adding some minced garlic I had on hand.  Once the onion was translucent, I added a can of sliced mushrooms, and a moment later added almost an entire head of cabbage (it always looks like a TON of cabbage when I put it in the pan, but before too long it’s cooked down to a manageable size).  Once LeeLee was home and ready for dinner, I added the macaroni a little at a time, and voila!  Some salt and some pepper in the pan, some more at the table (with a dollop of nutritional yeast for texture), and dinner was served.

I’m excited for tomorrow’s leftovers already!

The stats:

Macaroni: $1.00 ($0.50/person)
Cabbage: $3.95 ($1.98/person)
Onion: $1.00 ($0.50/person)
Mushrooms: $1.19 ($0.60/person)

GRAND TOTAL: $7.14 … or $3.58 per person.
BUT WAIT!  This meal makes enough for at least two additional servings.  So the per-person price goes down even more!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment