I have to admit, I was pretty nervous to try making this
dinner at home tonight. All week, I’ve
been putting it off! LeeLee and I both
love Thai- and Vietnamese-inspired dishes, and their flavors are so complex
that I was fearful I couldn’t pull it off – or, worse, spend half an hour
preparing a meal only to have to order from Papa John’s at the end of the
ordeal. Add to that the fact that there
were some negative comments posted at the end of this VegetarianTimes.com
recipe – which I read only after I purchased all of the ingredients, of
course! – and I was fit to be tied, as we say in the South.
Thankfully, blessedly, my fears proved to be unfounded. This meal was delicious!
While I sautéed the tofu, I pureed the vegetables into a
thick paste and then started them cooking in a saucepan (and flipped the rice
cooker on while I was at it). I added a
can of coconut milk, the curry powder and turmeric (I went a little overboard
on the curry powder, but it was ultimately the right call), and then deviated
from the recipe a bit and added only about a half-cup of water as well as
several generous pinches of sugar and some salt, to taste. Once the rice cooker was finished, I put the broccoli
into the saucepan, and tossed the diced tomato in with the tofu. By the time the broccoli was tender, I poured
the curry sauce atop the tofu and tomato, blended everything together a bit,
and dinner was served!
Now, it could certainly be improved upon, but for my first
Thai attempt, I was very pleased with the result. And so was LeeLee, who went back for seconds
and thirds! Now the house smells pleasantly
of curry, which is not a bad potpourri when you get right down to it.
The stats:
Tofu: $2.99 ($1.50/person)
Lemongrass: $1.99 ($1.00/person)
Ginger: $0.52 ($0.26/person)
Chili pepper: $0.16 ($0.08/person)
Coconut milk: $2.69 ($1.35/person)
Broccoli: $2.99 ($1.50/person)
Carrots: $1.99 ($1.00/person)
Shallot: $0.50 ($0.25/person)
Rice: $0.30 ($0.15/person)
Tomato: $1.00 ($0.50/person)
GRAND TOTAL: $15.13 … or $7.59 per person.
BUT WAIT! This meal
makes enough for at least one additional serving. So the per-person price goes down even more!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment