The snow whooshed in first thing this morning just as the Weather
Service said it would (though in our yard at least, it didn’t quite hit the mark the NWS had predicted),
and after a day of working from home and taking a mid-afternoon break to sled
down our neighborhood hill and shovel the walk, the far-and-away best fuel for
our souls was a hearty bowl of chik’n
posole. The heat from both the
stovetop and the peppers warmed us right up!
This is by far one of the easiest meals I make, and yet it
always tastes so impressive. Who would’ve
thought that a mix of chik’n strips (we used Trader Joe’s brand this time),
Rotel, yellow hominy, broth, garlic powder, minced dried onion, and black pepper
would create such a first-class dinner?
But it does, every single time, and LeeLee and I are always surprised by
it.
In typical snow-day fashion, we paired tonight’s meal with a
full-figured red wine (we always tend to splurge on wine for snow days – and by
“splurge” I mean $10 a bottle rather than $5), and I even crumbled a few
tortilla chips into my soup bowl for some added pizazz. The end result was fantastic – we always dip
chips into our Taco Soup,
and I’ll have to keep it in mind for this meal too from now on!
As I write this, we’re both trying to ignore the leftover
king cake that is featured prominently in the middle of our dining-room table –
remnants from a Mardi Gras soiree we enjoyed this weekend (I’ll talk about it on
the podcast very soon!). But I know we’ll
soon break down and have a sweet treat.
With four inches of snow on the ground, it just seems like the perfect
way to cap off the evening!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment