The rain started as LeeLee and I drove home tonight, first
in little dribs and drabs, then harder in big fat drops that hit the windshield
with a splat. As the temperature dipped
back into the 50s, I reconsidered the springy meal that was on the menu for
tonight, but then I decided: Who cares?
It’s nearly May! Let’s eat some
asparagus and be happy.
And with that, I began work on my version of Robin Robertson’s
“Fusilli With Roasted Asparagus, Sundried Tomatoes, and Pine Nuts” from her
glorious book Vegan
Planet. A quick comparison of
her recipe title and my blog post shows what I did differently – I changed the
fusilli to rotini and removed the pine nuts.
(Incidentally, I was hoping to use said pine nuts, but the ones I
thought I had in my cupboard were nonexistent there at the last. So much for that one!)
It looks like her book is now on Google books, so feel free
to venture on over there to grab the recipe if you like – I don’t want to
reprint it here because I revere this book so very much that I want to be sure
to give Ms. Robertson her due! But
suffice it to say, I roasted the asparagus and then sautéed it with garlic and
sundried tomatoes while the pasta cooked, adding some salt and pepper for
flavor. Once the pasta was ready, I
drained the rotini and tossed everything together in a big glass bowl, adding
some chopped basil and parsley from the garden for good measure! (This marks our first use of the herb garden
for this season – hooray!)
We hadn’t tried this recipe before, so I was hopeful but
nervous about how it’d come out. I needn’t
have been worried – this dinner was fantastic!
Sometimes sundried tomatoes, particularly the ones packed in oil (as
these were), can be a bit strong – sometimes a little too strong for my taste, if you must know the truth. But tonight, the flavors mingled just
perfectly, and the tomatoes gave the dish the perfect amount of tang, balancing
the spring asparagus beautifully. We topped our meals with some nutritional
yeast for garnish and mowed down two plates full of pasta apiece. And in true Recessionista fashion, there’s
plenty left for both of us to take for lunch tomorrow – hooray!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment