You know, midweek meals can sometimes be a little difficult. The full weight of the workweek is upon us,
complete with all sorts of after-work activities and early-morning workouts,
and the Florida State football game – I mean, the weekend! – seems so very far
away indeed. So sometimes, you’ve gotta
call on your best dinnertime friends for help.
Sometimes, you’ve gotta call on Old Faithful.
I’ve waxed poetic on Old Faithful – aka black beans and rice
– a hundred times in these pages, but let me just add another stanza here
today. For my money, there’s just
nothing more comforting, hearty, filling, and tasty than this good old Cuban
favorite! It reminds me of my Florida
home (and reminds me I can’t seem to find good Cuban bread this far north in the
D.C. area). And it’s always there for
us.
So tonight we settled in to steaming plates of black beans
and rice, complete with chik’n patties for extra protein, and topped the plate
high with vegan sour cream, Daiya cheddar, Tabasco, and salsa. I even added some nutritional yeast to my
dish (because I’ll eat it on anything); LeeLee abstained. Either way, it was a perfect meal for a rainy
midweek night, when patience was short but appetites were huge!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment