I’m going to try a new series for the weekends, featuring festive and/or fun things LeeLee and I do in our area – and you can do, too, whether you’re our regional neighbors or not – that also help us keep our money in the bank. Got a great idea? Leave it for us in the comments!
Oh, how I love the farmer’s market. Back when we used to sleep in a little later
than we do now (those were the days :)), one of the things that was sure to get
me out of bed in a timely fashion was a trip to the downtown market! And now, when I’m often up before the sun to
get a long run in, I’ll limp down to see the farmers’ wares after I’m showered
and dressed.
Over the years, LeeLee and I have gotten to know a lot of
the vendors – Señor Lopez and his family (who have the best onions around, and
a plethora of other great fruits and veggies), Mr. and Mrs. Cleckner (who sell
top-quality eggs), our friends over at Bigg Riggs Farm (whose springtime ramps
can’t be beat!), and on and on and on.
Many of the farmers move in and out of the market with the seasons –
we’re probably a month or so away now from some of the summertime-only folks
going back into hibernation for the winter – and some are stalwarts, sticking
it out each and every week all year long.
We embrace them all and look so forward to seeing them on Saturday
mornings.
The farmer’s market is a great way to meet your neighbors,
learn what’s happening in your own community (our market always has folks
handing out fliers for this cause and that – most aren’t pushy, which I
appreciate!), and more to the point of this blog, find out what’s in season on
the produce front. It’s so fun to see
the strawberries arrive in the spring, bursting with flavor, and then the
summer tomatoes come rolling in by the bushel, only to be replaced in the
autumn and winter squash family (I’m not gonna lie – I rejoice when my beloved
acorn squash makes its first appearance!).
The farmer’s market is always teeming with life, with
stories, with ideas. And the price can’t
be beat! The people-watching is free – a
steal! :) – and the produce is always the most reasonable price in town for the
highest quality. And, further, we’re
supporting our local businesses, which is always a great thing too.
Not sure where your nearest farmer’s market is? LocalHarvest.org has a great list right here. (Use the Zip code search on the upper left of
the page to get immediate information for your area!)
What farmer’s market is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment