Saturday, September 14, 2013

Get Outta the Kitchen: Your Public Library.




I’m going to try a new series for the weekends, featuring festive and/or fun things LeeLee and I do in our area – and you can do, too, whether you’re our regional neighbors or not – that also help us keep our money in the bank.  Got a great idea?  Leave it for us in the comments!

The public library is a well-known frugal tip for the bookworms among us (myself included).  Since I was a child, I’ve been in love with the rows and rows of books, on any subject imaginable, all of which can be checked out for free!  Now, with the advent of the e-reader, I can even check out books for my Kindle and watch them magically disappear when my lending period is over – avoiding those unsightly (and, in my case at least, sometimes very costly!) fines.

But the public library can also be a way to spend time frugally, as well.  Many city libraries offer movie nights, classes, book clubs, author talks, children’s programs, adult programs (well, programs for adults – not adult programs if you catch my drift, and thank goodness for that), and more.  Here in Alexandria, there’s a wealth of entertainment options on our library calendar every month, catering to all sorts of tastes and styles.  And they’re all free!  A bargain indeed.

Further, I’ve taken to visiting my local library for a change of scenery when working at home gets a little dull (or when I get distracted by, say, a certain four-footed whiskered animal who clamors for food during every waking hour).  There’s a great little work/study area on the second floor of our neighborhood branch that is perfect for setting up shop on a Saturday afternoon to get some writing done!  And the people-watching can’t be beat – our branch is a great microcosm of the neighborhood, attracting folks from all walks of life and all ages.  In an age of impersonal communication, the library offers a great face-to-face opportunity to connect with neighbors and other, further-flung residents of the community.  Again: All for free.

So the next time you find yourself distracted from work you should be doing at home, or in need of something new to read, or craving stimulating conversation regarding a contemporary popular book, or anything in between, give your local library a shot.  It’s amazing that in an age of budget cuts and belt-tightening, the librarians continue to make their buildings hum.  I for one am quite appreciative for the service!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment