Monday, September 23, 2013

Raw Stuffed Peppers With Avocado “Fries.”


First of all, I cannot tell you how upset I am that I didn’t take a photo of tonight’s dinner!  LeeLee had exactly 25 minutes from the time we got home to the time he had to leave for a meeting, and in our scrambling to get dinner on the table – and eaten – I completely forgot to take photos!  It’s especially a shame since tonight’s dinner was so darn pretty.  Bright orange bell peppers, sliced lengthwise in half and stuffed with a raw cashew “cheese” with avocado slices on the side?  Gorgeous and autumnal!  Oh, well.  Try to picture it in your mind.

We’re not raw foodists by a long shot, but every so often we crave a 100% raw meal, and tonight’s hit the spot.  I came across this recipe more than a year ago in Ani Phyo’s book Ani’s Raw Food Kitchen, and whenever I need something exceptionally fresh and filling, I gravitate toward this dish.  (I see someone has posted an adaptation of it here – check it out!)

The bell peppers were juicy and crunchy and went great with the cashew “cheese” filling that we liberally applied to each hollowed-out side.  We topped the peppers with some pico de gallo for a little extra kick!

For a side item, I decided on avocado fries, one of my favorite ways to serve avocado at mealtimes.  It’s a cinch to make: Slice up one avocado into strips and toss them with several tablespoons of nutritional yeast and a few sprinkles of adobo seasoning.  The garlic brings out the flavor of the avocados, and the yeast provides a nice, cheesy coating for your “fries”!  As usual, I was sorry I didn’t buy two avocados at the store over the weekend.  The fries were really too good, and I fought with LeeLee for the last few strips.  (I won.)

In short, this was a great meal to bring to the table quickly!  A few spins in the food processor for the “cheese,” and dinner was served.  The best part?  There’s enough left over for tomorrow!  I’m looking forward to lunch already.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment