First of all,
while I know it’s a widely accepted term, “leaf-peeping” always sounds so …
tawdry to me. I can’t be the only one, right? So maybe for the rest
of the post I’ll call this activity leaf-looking, which sounds so sedate, so
refined. ;)
At any rate, it’s
autumn here in the U.S., and where I live in Virginia, the leaves are turning
beautiful shades of red, yellow, and orange. Not all years are like this
– we’ve had several years lately where the leaves were bright green, then
brown, then gone – so when the leaves put on a show, LeeLee and I always take
time to see them up close and personal.
Two weekends ago
– in a stroke of luck, given the government shutdown – we visited
Shenandoah National Park and drove 50 miles out-and-back on Skyline Drive, a
wonderful road that gives a gorgeous tour of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The
higher we went in elevation, the more pronounced the change of season was, and the
more beautiful the leaves became. The autumn plants were in full bloom,
as well, and the foliage was still firmly on the trees, encompassing us in a
floral cocoon.
We brought a
picnic to enjoy at the beginning of our trip and stopped at the visitors center
picnic area for our lunch. Though we certainly weren’t alone in that area
of the park, we were able to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the outdoors
regardless – a much-needed respite from the hustle and bustle of our daily
lives!
On our drive back
to the park entrance, we pulled over at one of many overlooks (I’m a firm
believer in pulling in to each one, and getting out at most of them) and were
admiring the view when I felt something staring at me. Do you ever get
that feeling – that someone is looking at you? I turned around to see who
it was and locked eyes with a youthful black bear, who proceeded to
hotfoot it into the woods after crossing the roadway. After spying him,
LeeLee and I were on Cloud 9 for the rest of the trip! It’s always amazing to
see those guys in the park. (Well, less amazing when you’re camping and
they’re searching for food, but I digress.)
At any rate,
leaf-looking is a great activity for this time of year, and it takes you on
more adventures than just what the leaves themselves have to offer. Pack
a picnic, bring your binoculars and bird book, maybe even carry along a camera
– and expect a wonderful mini-vacation!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment