I tell you what, our
latest library find, The
Chinese Takeout Cookbook, has been getting a workout in our household
of late! Not a week goes by that we find
a new recipe to use (and to love), and this week has been no exception. (And as a bonus: No library fines yet! Whoohoo!)
I’m really settling into the
art of stir-frying these days. Cooking
at high heat for short bursts of time is no longer a scary proposition but
rather a way of life when it comes to cooking Asian-inspired meals. Tonight, I put the rice on to cook and then
prepared my seitan with an accompanying marinade. Then, just as the rice was nearly finished
and the spring rolls baked in the oven, I put some sesame oil in my best
wok-like pan and got to stir-frying! First
I heated up the seitan and then added some garlic powder and ginger; then I
threw in the snap peas and mushrooms for two to three minutes. Finally I added a stir-fry sauce – tonight I
cheated and used a bottled variety – and dinner was ready two minutes
later. Easy!
And delicious. Why
have I never ordered moo goo gai pan from a “real” Chinese restaurant? Of course, now that I’ve made it at home and
see how easy (and inexpensive) it is, I may never
order it from a restaurant. Why
bother when the at-home version tastes so good?
Anyway, chalk another win up for The Chinese Takeout Cookbook.
We may eventually have to break down and purchase it outright! But for now, the library’s copy is suiting us
just fine.
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment