First of all, let us all take a moment to wish the United
States men’s national soccer team well.
Their loss today was heartbreaking, but what a World Cup this was! And for the second time in as many World
Cups, they made it to the knockout round – not a small feat. I’m proud of them. (And now, in honor of my beloved former
neighbors, I will root for Germany.)
Now, let’s get on with tonight’s meal! With a heavy heart, I lumbered into the kitchen
after the game to put together a dish I’ve been wanting to try for a while –
Christy Jordan’s Greek chik’n
tacos from over at SouthernPlate.com.
Well, truth be told, she uses real chicken, but of course in our
household we found that seitan would do the trick just beautifully in its
stead. So I marinated it per Christy’s
instructions, then browned the seitan for about 10 minutes in a nonstick
pan. As it cooked, I prepared a pot of
couscous, which I felt would be a great addition to the Mediterranean theme!
We had tortillas left over from Sunday night’s fajita-fest,
so we put them to work again tonight. We
also had half a container of No. 1 Sons spicy sauerkraut from the same meal,
and found it went just beautifully atop the tacos! Other toppings included black olives, feta
cheese, and a chopped tomato topped with fresh parsley from the garden.
This was such a light-tasting yet filling meal! We both loved the marinade; the seitan soaked
it up perfectly. And we loved having tacos
that didn’t taste like the usual tacos!
The couscous was a welcome sidekick, as well, especially after being
topped with a little nutritional yeast (which, admittedly, I will put atop
anything at all).
Our only lamentation is that we don’t have any leftovers for
tomorrow’s lunch! But as usual, that’s
the sign of a dinner well-loved.
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment