Tonight’s dinner was a CSA-inspired meal if I’ve ever seen
one!
Our protein, the Gardein “beef” tips, didn’t come from Great Country Farms, but very nearly everything else did. First, I prepared the beets, lovely little
ruby beauties that came to us in last week’s CSA box, by roasting them in foil
at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. As they
roasted, I prepared the (CSA) potatoes, halfway peeling them and placing them
in a large pot of soon-to-be-boiling water.
Then I added the (CSA) broccoli florets, roughly chopping them before
placing them in with the spuds.
When the beets came out, 45 minutes later, I heated up the
beef tips as I let the beets cool and then rubbed their skins off with a paper
towel. Then I sliced them, placed them
in a serving bowl, and topped them with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and
goat cheese.
I put the beets on the table and turned my attention to the potatoes! I used my handy potato masher to mash
everything up after draining the boiling water from the pot, then added some butter,
sour cream, almond milk, dill, and parsley.
I mashed everything up until it had developed a chunky consistency and
then flicked the beef’s burner to Off.
Just like that, it was time to eat!
Now, THIS was a hearty meal.
LeeLee and I both love “steak” and potatoes – I’ve mentioned this
plenty, I know – and tonight was no different.
Also, over the last couple of years I’ve worked hard to get over my
aversion to beets, and with the help of balsamic and goat cheese, I’m certainly
getting there! Tonight we divided the
serving bowl even-Steven and there wasn’t a single morsel left when it came
time to do the dishes. Good thing, too, because
we’re expecting more beets in this week’s farm box! I’m going to attempt another serving style for
those; stay tuned!
Anyway, this was a wonderfully meaty meal for a Tuesday
night – and now my crisper is almost ready for this week’s new shipment of
vegetables. It’s a never-ending cycle –
but it’s a tasty one!
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment