I don’t know whether I’ve mentioned this in, oh, a day or
so, but: We’ve got a lot of squash to work our way through at the moment.
Thank heaven for pasta primavera – that forgiving dinner
that allows you to throw in whatever vegetables you have on hand and make a
great meal out of it all! I like to use
the sauce recipe that I found eons ago over at $5
Dinners, and it’s never let me down.
Tonight, instead of red wine vinegar I used balsamic, and the sauce was
no worse for wear. You really can’t do
anything to hurt it!
For some protein, tonight I baked up a batch of Sophie’s
Kitchen’s breaded vegan shrimp, and by the time the pasta was ready, so were
the shrimp! Then all that was left was
to whip up the sauce and add in a plethora of veggies. On tonight’s docket: Two yellow squash (why
skimp? We have so many of them!) and plenty of green beans, both products of Great Country Farms, as well as a
container of grape tomatoes. I let
everything soften up a bit for 5 minutes or so before adding in the cooked
shrimp and, finally, the pasta, stirring everything around to combine it.
The ease of this sauce always tickles me. What starts out as a couple pats of butter
and a couple spoonfuls of flour, mixed with some almond milk, becomes this
creamy sauce that tastes so rich! I love
how deceptively simple it is to make – and to consume, I might add.
On the side for tonight’s meal, I heated up the remainder of
a loaf of focaccia we bought on Saturday at the farmers’ market, courtesy of Maribeth’s Bakery (one of
our favorite local bakeries!). I just
sliced it into two (large) slices, wrapped the focaccia in foil, and baked it
at 350 as the vegetables cooked. By the
time the main course was ready, the focaccia was warm and the cherry tomatoes
embedded within it were bubbly. Perfect!
I don’t mind telling you that we ate with gusto – the vegetables
were soft, yet still had a bit of bite, and the primavera sauce was wonderfully
creamy and flavorful, with hints of garlic and balsamic. The vegan shrimp brought some gravitas to the
dish and gave us a boost of protein to boot.
And the focaccia could’ve been the star of the show, it was so
well-received!
I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of pasta primavera
for this summertime’s bounty! But I can’t
complain a bit.
:)

No comments:
Post a Comment